Sunday, November 2, 2014

Yosemite Hike 1 & 2


After my Half Dome Hike with My Firefighter on Oct. 2, the girls were interested in seeing Yosemite so I took them up and promptly got sick with food poisoning, threw up here and there around the park and managed to drive home without the girls seeing much at all. The following week, My Firefighter came with us and we had a great time and the girls got to go on their first "real" hike to the top of Sentinel Dome.


My first attempt alone with the girls. I got REALLY sick!

We began the day at the Mariposa Grove where the giant sequoias are and found out that they are taking out the roads and this is the last season of the tram ride through the forest. The weight of the cars is compressing and compromising the root systems of these great trees.


The tram through the forest. Excited and cold!


The Fallen Monarch.
These are the roots of a fallen giant sequoia.

The Giant Sequoia named Grizzly Giant is between probably 1900 to 2400 years old: the oldest tree in the grove. It has a volume of 34,010 cubic feet (963 m3), and is counted as the 25th largest tree in the world. It is 210 feet (64 m) tall, and has a heavily buttressed base with a basal circumference of 28 m (92 ft) or a diameter of 30 feet (9.1 m); above the buttresses at 2.4 m above ground, the circumference is only 23 m. Grizzly Giant's first branch from the base is 2 m (6 ft) in diameter.


Standing inside a living tree!


It's all about....


...perspective!

Next, we went to Glacier Point and I was able to see the entire path of the hike I took up to Half Dome. I cannot believe I hiked all that way! If I'd seen it first, I'd never have thought I could make it.


After seeing Glacier Point, we hiked 2.2 miles round trip to the top of Sentinel Dome which gave us a 360 degree view of Yosemite. Jie Jie is part mountain goat and was the first up and first down, much to My Firefighter's surprise. It was the first time he's seen this side of her and I was glad he did since he's still learning how her special needs affect her abilities. Blossom was able to control her reactions to her sensory issues and make the climb and even climbed the "victory rock" for her picture. A major first for her! Sissy enjoyed the experience and is looking at Half Dome with a little more curiosity now. Apple climbed all over Glacier Point on her own, but conked out in the backpack on the hike.


When I came up alone with the girls, I was finally able to get my Made It To the Top shirt:


No comments: