Friday, October 23, 2015

Speech Therapy

I'm getting to be a pro at speech therapy, but I certainly didn't start out that way. All three older girls got into a free program at the Scottish Rites center our first year here and I eagerly drove them downtown each week and sat in the waiting room and waited and waited and waited to see some kind of progress. I waited nearly a year before pulling them out of the program. The key to speech therapy is to see progress. If there isn't any progress, the program isn't working, so do something else! I learned this the hard way.

Fast forward to what we have now. It's EXCELLENT! Apple and Jie Jie go to the same place and while the progress is slower at time and faster at other times, there is always progress. I also don't allow the therapist to play with my girls unless the game is directly related to speech and the girls are actually speaking. At the Scottish Rite place, the girls rarely spoke - duh! They played Brain Games on the computer instead.

Sissy had her first speech therapy session today. She's going to a place much closer to our home, which is great. It also looks like it's going to be a great place, too. The therapist did everything I'd have done, meaning, she caught all of Sissy's bluffs and struggles and made Sissy work through them. First, the therapist showed Sissy pictures and she had to tell what, why or where. For example, one picture was a little boy with a big band aid on his head and the back of the card said, "Why does the boy have a band aid on his head?" This wasn't too hard for Sissy and she did pretty well.

The next exercise was new to me. The therapist showed Sissy a very short and simple video clip and she had to make up the story that went with the picture and record herself. Then, the next part of the story video clip was shown and Sissy had to do the same thing again. This was very difficult for Sissy. She cried. Not only does she not notice details, but she doesn't comprehend inferences, so she missed a lot of what was going on with the characters expressions and body language. Then add the language part and it was even more difficult. As long as the therapist cued and guided her, Sissy could manage something, but when Sissy had to do it by herself, it was really, really tough. Afterward, out of Sissy's hearing, I asked what age level the therapist thought Sissy performed this exercise at and she said that Sissy was just like the 6 year olds she works with.

I can't wait to see the progress that Sissy is going to make!

3 comments:

Lynnea Hameloth said...

What a great idea on using the video method! Love that!!
Keep on keeping on! You are a.m.a.z.i.n.g.
<3

Shecki Grtlyblesd said...

We had a visit from the Regional Center yesterday, and the lady remarked, "He plays just like my 8 month old." Which would be fine, if he wasn't 4 years old.

Sara said...

Wow, sounds like more than speech therapy, also a chance for introspection. What a great idea for a teen. Kudos to the therapist.

I have 3 that went through speech therapy - the last therapist we had was a tough one - she actually put me off - but then I saw progress - I learned to sit back and watch her work (tough as that was). Like you, eventually - after several years- I felt it was time to move on. One child mastered everything and the 2nd one stalled - but I pulled them both out with a good conscience. My third only struggles with R's and still does, sigh.

Single bay area mom to 4 from China