Saturday, December 26, 2015

Christmas Dinner


After unwrapping the gifts, I was pretty tired, I even contemplated taking the girls out to a restaurant for Christmas dinner. I changed my mind after a good breakfast, one that was a gift, actually. Last night our neighbor brought over a frozen breakfast casserole and I let it defrost during the night. All I had to do was warm it up in the microwave. It revived me enough to start cooking and keep cooking. Granted, I did cheat this year quite a bit. I had a store-bought frozen apple pie and the pie crusts I used for my pumpkin pies were frozen, too. But I did do the 16+ pound turkey (in an oven bag) myself and stuffing, carrots, mashed potatoes (from flakes), green bean casserole and homemade cranberry sauce.

This is my old cat, Rose. She's 15. She's not food motivated, she'd rather be on my lap than eating off my plate, so when she went for the turkey, I went for my camera and I love this picture. Her table manners are impeccable, no hands (feet) on the table!


Now, I'm tired. Too tired to sleep. I'll try reading and undoubtedly fall asleep with the light on and find the book under the sheets and my glasses on the floor in the morning. I'm going on strike next year unless I have another pair of hands to help - at least someone to supervise the kids while I cook. On top of doing all the Christmas Eve stuff and Christmas Day stuff, and all the cooking, I even managed two loads of laundry, cleaned the kitchen (with the help of the girls) and deboned the bird.

3 comments:

Jennie said...

You are a Super Mom! The Christmas spread is so colorful, and I'm sure VERY tasty.

Kath said...

Time to take a day off! You've earned it! Yeah, I know, sure but who will step in and etc., etc. So then cut corners where you can and Don't feel guilty one bit!

Almond Tea said...

Happy Birthday, K! I hope you had a wonderful day.