Friday, January 1, 2016

Happy Birthday & Happy New Year

The past few days have been a great ending to 2015 and a wonderful start to 2016. A few days ago, My Firefighter returned from out-of-town, where he spent the holidays with his daughter and her husband. He asked us all to meet him in the terminal, not just pull up to the curb. It was a great idea since my own anticipation of his arrival, and the girls' excitement, was very fun. I admit we got to the airport quite early. One of the local culinary academies made a display of Gingerbread Houses Around the World, so we had a lot to look at while we waited and a video to watch on how the gingerbread village was created.

I'd warned the girls that they can't run and meet him until he passed the secure area, but Apple didn't get it and shot toward him and straight into his arms just a couple feet inside the demarcated area. It was darling! The guards must have thought so, too, they smiled at me and didn't say anything (they'd seen me point out to the girls the no trespass area).


On my birthday, which is on New Year's Eve, My Firefighter took me out to my favorite restaurant, a Brazilian place with a fantastic buffet and a never-ending flow of delicious meat, chicken and poultry on long skewers that is served to one's table, followed by cinnamon pineapple also cooked on a long skewer. We'd gone there a year ago mid-way through December and I looked forward all year to going again. Then, we did what only nerds do and went to see Star Wars AGAIN in the same month! It was just as good, if not better, the second time because we noticed more details and My Firefighter had just given me the soundtrack and we'd been listening to it in the car.


We ushered in the New Year at home, not because we are nerds or "old" but because we wanted to. My firefighter has been healing from pneumonia for over a month, hence his tired appearance in recent pictures, and it's just gosh darn nice having some quiet time together. Midnight came and we stood outside, in a safe place, as idiots around the neighborhood shot guns into the air, multiple rounds at a time. It truly sounded like a war zone outside. Then we went inside and relished our quiet time, saying good-bye to 2015 and welcoming in 2016 and all that it may bring.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you! I hope that this year brings joy and blessings to you and your beautiful family.

Catherine said...

Sounds like the perfect New Years! All the best in 2016!

The Redhead said...

Happy Birthday!!! I have caught up with all you had done in 2015, and what a doozy! Hoping 2016 is a year of answers, progress, happiness and good health for your family, and your firefighter :)