Sunday, April 24, 2016

Splat

I took a fall. I went all unconscious for a tiny bit. I'm very sore, but I'm okay.

I've been doing a TON on yard work. We've had several dead trees cut down, most by My Firefighter, but the power company took down two dead pine trees that were a hundred feet tall near several power lines under the condition that they'd leave the wood instead of remove it, meaning, I'd do the removal. During the past three weeks, I borrowed my neighbor's trailer and loaded it twice with the help of my girls and then he hauled it to the green waste dump. It's grueling, exhausting work! Last Thursday and Friday, I had the trailer again and My Firefighter was able to come help. We were tired after the first day, so headed into Friday already tired. After the trailer was nearly full, with three more newly fallen trees on top of all the pine, I climbed up to jump on the stack to mash it down. I reached for a branch to pull it into a better position and it broke. I lost my balance and over the side I went - about a 6 or 7 foot fall.

I landed on my right side with my right arm under my ribs, but I didn't hit my head. My own arm gave me a "Heimlich Maneuver" and knocked the wind out of me. The last thing I remember is being in the air a really long time then not having any breath at all and trying to tell My Firefighter that I fell, but I couldn't get the words out.

The next thing I know, I'm waking up from what felt like a refreshing sleep and feeling quite fine. However, the look on My Firefighter's face wasn't fine. He'd called 911 because I lost consciousness so fast and did something with my arms that looked like posturing to him, a sign of brain trauma and he wasn't sure if I'd start having a seizure or something next. When I came to, though, he cancelled the call. I said I felt fine, but as I started moving around and over the next 20 minutes or so, I realized I was injured and felt strange. My arm was bruised up and my back wrenched and ribs very, very sore.

I didn't realize that falling from 6-7 feet could do that much damage. After all, it's just a little over one of my own body lengths. Now, my neck hurts, too. It started seizing up yesterday and today I have a major headache. I know I didn't hit my head or neck, it's just my body reacting to the jolt of a sudden stop against the hard ground and branches I landed on.

We don't know why I passed out so quickly other than the fact that I have very low blood pressure naturally so an abrupt change in blood pressure from the impact with a loss of air from knocking the wind out of myself so completely can cause psychogenic shock.

We stayed at My Firefigher's house Friday night and all day yesterday so he could watch me for signs of further injury and help with the girls. I've laid around today, feeling pretty miserable. Tomorrow, I hope to start feeling better.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh goodness how scary. Praying for your recovery.

Julie said...

Oh my goodness, that is terrible. So lucky your fireman was there. Take care, best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Lynnea Hameloth said...

Oh goodness! You are one tough cookie!! Most would have landed in the ER with those injuries! Rest and care for yourself! Glad your firefighter has been by your side!

Anonymous said...

You are so lucky that someone was around! Praying for your healing and recovery!
Cheryl

Nicole said...

Hope you are feeling better !

Shecki Grtlyblesd said...

Yikes! Be careful!

Chris said...

I was so blessed to read through several pages of posts and see how you have been continuing strong in the face of much medical and genetic adversity-God Bless your Servant's Heart sweet girl!!
I was also thrilled to see that "my firefighter" is very much a part of your life-woohoo!!!
Love
Chris