Sunday, February 26, 2017

We Made It

We made it to church.

It was a busy morning getting everyone ready. Even though my girls are older, they need help, so it's like having a lot of little ones.

It was nice being back and felt right and peaceful.

The aftermath was hard.

Sissy's cognitive capacity and emotional control was high enough for her to understand that her past behavior caused her to have to stay with the babysitter today, but it's not high enough to understand that she can and needs to choose to control her behavior in the future so that she can come with us to church. She can only think concretely. It's very difficult to deal with. So, she wasn't at her best for the rest of today, to put it mildly. I've been patient and loving and made sure to use the "lollipop voice" that she responds to the best, but it didn't work. This week, if I expect her to be able to behave well, I'll have to put out extra effort to keep her busy so she feels like she's accomplishing something.

I spent a couple hours this evening wondering if going to church was worth what she puts us through and I honestly can't answer that question. I am, however, willing to give it a few more tries and see if I can come up with something that works for all of us.

3 comments:

Karen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen said...

So glad to see you made it to church. I'm glad you're able to have a babysitter for Sissy and I have to say I like that term, "lollipop voice". That's a great description for the voice our daughter's special needs teacher uses. I know it's probably beneficial in the classroom, but honestly hard to listen to when the teacher is talking to me in the same voice.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you made it to church. I encourage you to go, because it seems to be a place for YOU. You pour yourself into your girls everyday, and this should be 3 hours of time for you to be with other adults and to focus on your faith.