Friday, February 10, 2017

We're Still Here

It's been nearly 4 months since my last post. That's the longest I've ever gone without blogging since beginning my blog back in 2007. Wow! It's hard to believe it's been that long - 10 years!

I'll begin catching up with our adventure last September when we tried making butter from cream by shaking it in a jar. The first day we tried and nothing happened. We all took turns shaking and shaking and shaking the jar. I finally put it in an electric mixer and that didn't work. Next, I tried surrounding it with ice. Then I tried my beaters. Then, beaters in an ice bowl. Nothing. I finally just whipped it, added sugar and gave the girls some strawberries.

Exhausted, I left everything out on the counter, the bowl of cream still in the bowl of ice. Then I noticed a slight separation a few hours later and realized that our butter melted in the summer heat as we shook it. It was over 80 degrees in my house that day.


We tried again the next day with great success, having the cream well-chilled beforehand and working quickly.



Activities like this serve many purposes in our lives. 1: Fun, 2: Knowledge of food, 3: Science for homeschool. I supposed there's a 4th: Exercise! Shaking those jars is quite a lot of work.

4 comments:

Lynnea Hameloth said...

That's a hoot that it melted as quick as you were shaking! That is a great life lesson! <3

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you back!

Shecki Grtlyblesd said...

Did you have a marble in the jar? We were going to try that, but haven't gotten to it yet.

K said...

No, I didn't think of that. I just had each girl shake until she couldn't any more and then pass it to the next person. I took turns, too.