Saturday, April 29, 2017

Christmas 2016

Long time in coming, but here it is, our Christmas post!

I have to say that I enjoyed every moment of life from November 30 through December. After not knowing what give the three older girls last year due to their lack of need and lack of development, all that I learned about intellectual disability and developmental delay since then gave me great ideas. We had what I call a very generous Christmas, the most ever in my entire life, actually, because I had a plan to help my girls (more on this in another post) and it involved a certain amount of equipment.

Then, near midnight, my neighbor and her daughters came over and brought a sleigh-full of gifts, too, adding to the bounty. They brought such lovely things as homemade play dough and accessories, art kits, and more. Most of my neighbor's children were adopted and have special needs so she knew exactly what to get us. Plus, a huge basket of homemade Christmas treats, our only ones, since I didn't have a second to do any baking.

On Christmas Eve, I read of the birth of our Savior Jesus Christ and then showed the girls a movie video clip online of what we'd just read to help them understand to the best of their abilities what Christmas is really about.

I'd wrapped everything well ahead of time, little-by-little over the course of days, so Christmas Eve was not the horrific event of Christmas Eve's Past, but of private celebration, contentment and excitement. I enjoyed the sewing and construction I did, which involved a lot of designing. It stimulated my brain in areas that hadn't been fired up in so long I was amazed that they still worked and this must have released endorphins or something because I felt happy and good, even after working through several nights.

Selecting our tree took a bit of time since I wanted a full one that wasn't too tall.
Turned out, what made it so full was that it has a double trunk at the bottom and was already starting to grow into two trees


Flashback to selecting our tree for Christmas 2011 when Jie Jie was almost 8 years old.


Christmas bounty with our little foster kitten, Maisie-Mia, prancing by.
I designed and built the doll swing.


Stockings for all members of the household, regardless of how many legs they walk on, plus our "visitor" kitty and dog. I love the Christmas music and fake fire on our Black Friday sales deal TV that sits in front of our real fireplace. This was the first TV I'd ever bought in my entire life.


I love that our oldest cat, Rose, joined in the Christmas morning photo.
She's now 17 years old!


Getting ready to start opening gifts, which we did in a completely leisurely fashion.

They all received Backjacks, the better to sit watch our new TV without crowding and jostling their poor mother to death and getting in each other's way.

The biggest was saved for last and it was exactly what she'd been hoping for and wanting and talking about for a long time...

...a double stroller for her babies!


Jie Jie was thrilled to get "a big stroller just like a real one for her beloved doll, Bao Bao, who she fell in love with when I sent her pictures of the doll in the care package I'd sent before adopting her and still loves to this day. Jie Jie bought gifts for Bao Bao for Christmas, too, new cloths and shoes.


With a little help, this was their gift to me, a doll that looks just like Jie Jie!

As we unwrapped, I had the girls toss the wrapping paper into the planter. When Blossom's Christmas money from Gong Gong went missing 2 minutes after she received it, I knew from past experience where to find it - among all the wrapping paper.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love how the girls look with their hair down!