Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Totally Grossed Out

It's been a week with a couple of particularly gross things.

First, we had a friend come and visit us. She used our bathroom politely, but I noticed she'd taken her purse into the bathroom with her. Several days later, on trash day, Blossom was doing her usual chore of emptying the smaller wastebaskets into the bigger one to put outside for pickup and I happened to walk into our laundry room just in time to see her reach into the guest bathroom trash and pull something out. It was a used tampon applicator (in the wrapper, like I said, my guest was polite), but Blossom saw something new in the trash and just had to see what it was, despite millions of admonishments that what's in the trash stays in the trash and it's dirty and we don't touch it.

The other gross happening was at our zoo's yearly event for families with kids with special needs. Across the food courtyard I saw a small girls, about 14 months old, toddling around with a diaper so full that it hung out of her shorts and nearly to her knees. I figured that no mom would let her baby be that wet without a good reason, so I figured maybe she ran out of diapers. I went up to her and asked her if she needed a diaper and she said, "No thank you. I know it looks awful, but I use 12 hour diapers."

I'm pretty sure that when the diaper companies came out with an advertisement for 12 hours diapers that they meant to reassure moms that the diaper would not leak overnight. However, this mom at the zoo truly took that to mean she didn't need to change her baby for 12 hours!

4 comments:

Lynnea Hameloth said...

Ewww... I'm not sure if i should laugh or cry at that woman's answer....

Anonymous said...

Did your daughter not know what a tampon was?

Anonymous said...

What are your longterm plans for your daughters? How do you consider their possibilities in life? Best wishes!

K said...

Yes, she knows what a tampon is, but she couldn't make the connection that there are different brands and since it wasn't a brand she'd seen in my bathroom, she couldn't extrapolate the size, wrapper and the fact that it was in a bathroom trashcan to knowing what it was.